Who needs to go to a craft show when you can create super cute fall decorations with a few craft sticks, a little paint, and some glue. Recently Sweet Pea helped me create this fabulous Pumpkins of a Fence Crafts for Kids. I know that by next week, the fall decorations will be put away to make room for Christmas. However, in the meantime, this little cutie will be proudly displayed in our home… with a starring role in next year’s fall harvest season! Read on to see how to make this table top decoration for yourself!
Pumpkins on a Fence Crafts for Kids
Affiliate links included for your convenience.
- Nine jumbo size craft sticks
- Seven regular size yellow craft sticks
- Two regular size green craft sticks
- Orange acrylic paint
- Black sharpie
- Three medium-size black pom poms
- Six medium-size googly eyes
- craft glue
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Thin width ribbon
How to Create the Pumpkins on a Fence
- Paint the jumbo craft sticks orange and let dry.
- Once the paint dries, arrange the pumpkins and fence. You can easily use craft glue for this step, or the glue gun if you are in a hurry.
- Assemble and glue one pumpkin at a time. Squeeze about 3″ of glue on one yellow craft stick about 1-1 1/2″ from the end. Stick each of the three jumbo craft sticks for the first pumpkin on the craft stick with about 1-2″ sticking above the yellow craft stick.
- Place the second yellow craft stick end-to-end with the first one. Squeeze glue on the right end of the first craft stick and the left end of the second craft stick.. about 3″. Stick the three craft sticks for the second pumpkin on the glue.
- Squeeze about 3″ of glue on the far right end of the two craft sticks, leaving about 1-1 1/2″ from the end. Stick the three jumbo craft sticks for the third pumpkin on the glue.
- Carefully turn the pumpkins and upper fence rail over so the paint is face down. On the back/bottom of the pumpkins, squeeze glue across the three pumpkins so that it is at the same height for each pumpkin. Stick the third and fourth yellow craft sticks on the back of the pumpkins to form the bottom of the fence.
- Trace the outline of each pumpkin with the black sharpie. Do the same thing with the fence rails. For effect, I traced the fence with dashed lines instead of solid lines.
- Glue the eyes and nose on each pumpkin. Draw on cute mouths that you like. Be creative!
- For the pumpkin stem, break the ends off of the two green craft sticks, about 2″ long. Apply craft glue or hot glue to the bottom of the green craft stick piece and stick on the top/back of each pumpkin.
- In order for the pumpkins/fence to stand up, glue a 3-4″ strip of ribbon to one end of each of the three remaining yellow craft sticks. Let 1″ of ribbon overhang the end of the craft stick.
- On each pumpkin’s middle craft stick, squeeze a strip of glue about 1/2″ below the bottom of the top rail. With the ribbon-glued side of the three remaining yellow craft sticks facing down, press the ribbon overhang into the glue.
- Between the bottom of the top fence rail and the ribbon that was just glued to the craft stick, squeeze another 1″ strip of glue. Press the yellow craft stick into the glue so that the ribbon is between the yellow craft stick and the back of the pumpkin. Repeat for all three pumpkins.
- Once dry, the pumpkins on the fence should stand up.
Aren’t they cute?
Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy the last unofficial week of fall!